NBDA US Bicycle Market 2016 (PDF Only)
2016 ended up being a reasonably good year for the markets that are the major consumers of bicycles and related products. However, the year will be remembered for Brixit and Trump, partly due to the unexpected nature of the results, but also the potentially profound shift in international relations and accordingly consumer markets for products like bicycles and all forms of human-powered mobility in coming years.
This 79-page report is a detailed market overview of the bicycle market in the United States and worldwide in 2016, compiled and written by industry consultant Jay Townley, principal with the Gluskin Townley Group LLC. It includes information on imports, exports, the cycling population, channels of trade, retailers, sales by product category, top bicycle brands and niche products. The report is based on numerous individual studies and research reports, along with statistics from CBC News, the World Bank, International Monitary Fund, Bureau of Economic Analysis, Focus Economics, Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Federal Reserve, Bloomberg Business, National Retail Federation, and CNNMoney. The report also includes tables and numerous charts.
Price is $299, or $199 for members of the NBDA, available as a PDF file that will be sent to a valid e-mail address as an attachment. Older studies are listed in the on-line catalog and are available for a reduced price.
- List of Tables and Charts
- Economic and Event Overview
- 2016 Business Year in Review
- 2016 U.S. Bicycle Industry Biggest Trade Stories
- U.S. Bicycle Market
- U.S. Participation in Bicycle Riding
- Bicycle Riding and Bicycle Consumption per Thousand
- Direct Effect U.S. Retail Sales of Bicycle, Parts and Accessories
- 2016 U.S. Market Consumption of New Bicycles
- U.S. Bicycle Imports
- U.S. Bicycle Exports
- Channels of Trade
- Supplier New Bicycle Sales to Bike Shops in 2015
- Retail Bicycle Brands by Channel of Trade
- Bike Shop Retail Channel Product Portfolio
- The Niche That Graduated
- Niche Product Categories
- Return of American Bicycle Assembly and Manufacturing